MDCP Record for 04200406
Main Records Page
Collection Date: April 20, 2004
County or City: Toronto
State or Province: ON
Collector's Notes: Location:
- Flowerbed of private residence in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 5km north of Lake Ontario in tributary branch of Humber River, elevation 513�
- A small mushroom cap approximately 1/4�x1/2� was found in debris being raked from a flowerbed. The fragment was noticed early on when the debris was piled near the edge of the bed. Attempts to find more mushrooms failed.
- Flowerbed extends to the perimeter of the property approximately 35� x 75� with a patch of lawn in the middle.
- Three large live trees described as (Siberian Elms) boarder the property, one stump remains from a fourth tree that was cut down last Nov. 2003.
- The debris in which the Morel was found came from an area just 10-15 feet from the base of the stump. *Note; sample was not found in situ.
- The grass area of the yard was subject to mechanical aeration in the spring of 2003. The flowerbeds received only surface raking at the start of the season.
Other Environmental Factors:
- Ground temperature was sampled at regular intervals in a grid pattern of approximately 10� x 10� with a digital probe to a depth of 4 inches accurate +/- .2 degrees Celsius.
- Temperatures ranged from a high of 10.5 degrees C to a low of 7.3 degrees C in the flowerbeds.
- Atmospheric temperatures have varied in the past 7 days from highs of 25 degrees C to lows of �3 C.
- Dandelions were in bloom, Tulips and Columbine in leaf only.
- Ostrich fern heads showed only slight green on fiddleheads.
- Elm and Maple trees were just breaking bud.
- Rainfall was moderate to heavy 4 out of 7 days in the past week.
- Pollen count for Poplar (Aspen) moderate to high in the past week.
- Water temperature of nearby creek 10.6 degrees C.
- Sandy loam lacking in organic matter to unknown depth.
- No stratification observed, �L� layer non-existent due to regular maintenance.
- Litmus test indicated neutral.
Note, 2012: Collection not sequenced; not cited in Kuo et al., 2012.
Main Records Page